Our experience in operating across many different investment cycles and markets provides us with the context to manage change. Throughout these cycles, we have the people, philosophy and proficiency of process to plot what we believe is the right course for our clients’ assets.
We understand and value the role played by all our people in delivering exceptional performance. Each individual is accomplished in their own right. However, uniting all our distinct talents through teamwork is what really creates the unique advantage for our clients.
At Standard Life Investments we believe our business is successful because our clients and customers around the world have confidence that we have a depth of expertise, a commitment to excellence and a unique team of talented people dedicated to their needs.
The Lions are special. Four proud nations, one team, coming together to take on the ultimate challenge: to beat the best, to become legends.
With an active management style, our team of dedicated equity investment professionals is focused on generating consistent performance.
Private equity funds provide a compelling means for investors to enhance performance and diversify their portfolios.www.slcapital.com
We offer a wide range of government, investment grade credit, high-yield credit, emerging market debt, inflation-linked bond and multi-asset bond strategies.
Standard Life Investments is one of the largest real estate investment managers in the world.
Standard Life Investments is increasingly gaining a reputation as a provider of innovative multi-asset investment solutions.
To meet the evolving needs of insurers, we have developed capabilities across a broad range of asset classes.
- ESG Investment
- What is governance and stewardship?
- The UK Stewardship Code
- How we discharge our stewardship responsibilities
- Our policy for managing conflicts of interests
- How we monitor our investee companies
- Our guidelines for escalating engagement
- Our willingness to act collectively with other investors
- Our policy on voting and voting disclosure
- How we report on stewardship to our clients
- Our team
- Letters, Statements & Articles
- News & Events
- Useful links
- Governance & Stewardship Annual Review
- Our insight
The House View process provides a consistent macroeconomic framework to analysing global financial markets.
Our Head of Global Strategy, Andrew Milligan, introduces the latest edition of Global Outlook, a summary of our House View.
Standard Life Investments’ Global Strategy team provide regular analysis of the key economic data that has been influencing financial markets.
Our global strategists combine valuable experience, thorough research and analysis to tackle major issues of the moment.
We’re committed to attracting and retaining the talented individuals necessary to maintain our position as one of the world's leading investment houses.
We’re firm believers in only recruiting individuals who we know will contribute to the overall success of the company. This calls for diverse skills and talents, so our recruitment process aims to highlight these attributes in each prospective employee.
Search for our latest vacancies. Find out all you need to know about current opportunities with us, and how to apply.
View our latest Press Releases.
Our dedication to meeting your financial needs is what drives us to deliver excellent performance. We've been delighted to receive a raft of industry awards in recognition of this commitment.
We regularly contribute to debate on topical issues shaping the investment management industry. Below you’ll find our most recently published articles, together with an archive.
We've included some background information on our press team to help you put a face to a name.
Principle 2 - Our policy for managing conflicts of interests
From time to time Standard Life Investments may encounter conflicts of interest in respect of fulfilling its stewardship responsibilities. In all such situations it is our policy to manage such conflicts in a manner that does not compromise or prejudice the primacy of our clients' best interests.
Our approach to conflicts of interest is reinforced by our ESG Investment team having access to senior executives and non-executives who are independent of both our fund management and global client servicing teams. This serves to maintain the integrity of decision making in respect of stewardship related matters. In addition, this arrangement enables us to manage price sensitive information in a compliant way that is consistent with our clients' best interests.
One specific conflict for Standard Life Investments relates to investment in the shares of our parent company Standard Life plc. In order to manage this conflict Standard Life Investments does not, as a matter of policy, invest actively managed portfolios in shares in Standard Life plc.
Global regulation requires the boards of directors at asset management firms to establish effective frameworks to identify, control and regularly review conflicts of interest. As required by regulators including the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK and the Securities and Exchange Commission in the US, Standard Life Investments has in place a documented process for the identification and management of conflicts of interest.
The process is designed a) to ensure that conflicts between the interests of the Company and its clients or between clients of different types are managed appropriately; and b) to ensure that conflicts resulting from personal activities of Company people outside of Standard Life Investments (e.g. business ventures, outside appointments, involvement in public affairs, personal political donations) are managed appropriately.
We disclose stewardship specific conflicts, and associated systems & controls, to clients and keep a current record of circumstances in which a potential conflict may arise, or has arisen, as a result of the activities carried out by Standard Life Investments. Relevant conflicts of interest are available here:
Potential Conflicts of Interest
Standard Life Investments votes on securities where we have a potential conflict of interest. Securities where we have a potential conflict are highlighted as:
- An investee company that is also a Segregated Client.
- An investee company where a Director or Officer of any Standard Life Group company is also a Director of that company.
- An investee company where an employee of Standard Life Investments is a Director of that company.
- A significant distributor of our products.
- Any other companies which may be relevant from time to time.
Systems and Controls
- Governance & Stewardship Principles and Policy guidelines are approved by the Board. These provide a basis for dealing with potential conflicts.
- The ESG Investment team have access to senior executives and non-executives who are independent of both our fund management and global client servicing teams.
- Rationale for voting in a particular direction is recorded.
- Sensitive investee companies are highlighted on ESG voting forms.
- Standard Life Investments’ ESG proxy voting database records where possible conflicts have been considered.
- Standard Life Investments report on voting for these stocks to Risk and Compliance Standard Life Investments (USA).
- The SLI Client team holds a list of segregated clients and a list of significant distributors of our products.
- Executive Directors or Officers of any Standard Life Group company notify the Group Secretariat about outside appointments.
- Employees of SLI record their outside appointments on the internal compliance system.
Standard Life Investments’ process for the management of conflicts includes the definition of a Conflicts of Interest Policy and the maintenance of a Conflicts of Interest register. The Standard Life Investments policy and register are reviewed annually by our Enterprise Risk Management Committee. If you would like more information on this policy please contact us.